Friday, September 28, 2012

Change Is a Roller-coaster

The last six weeks have been a roller-coaster ride of change.  Some has been good and expected.

 My youngest child is now all grown up, he has gained his drivers licence and bought a car with money he saved over three or four years.

The biggest change came four days before my son got his drivers licence and the change was unexpected.  I received news that my 84 year old mother had suffer a stroke.  The medical term used to describe the severity or her stroke was "significant".  After a week or two we deciphered this word "significant" to mean "major and lucky to survive".  The stroke has left most of my mother's right side paralysed.

The unexpected and most likely unwanted change for my mother has been moving to a bed in a nursing home.  The hospital has done all they can for her, the doctors have advised us that any further improvements will be minor.  She will not go back to her unit in the retirement village, her mind is still muddled and would not be able to turn a TV on let alone get out of bed by herself.

 Even harder to accept is that her speech has been affected too, and we find communicating with her difficult.  So her children don't know if she understands exactly what is happening in her life.


Jumbled in all of this change for myself, my brothers and my mother......

......... the rooster that was attacked by a dog has is tail feathers back.

And when you have a rooster or two walking around with the hens......one of the hens disappears for a while and then one night the hen comes back with extra's.




So, this month has taught me that not all change is bad, and some change is an achievement in one's life journey.  The answer to the question as to 'Why do bad things happen?'  Has to be left to the future.  All I do know is that when things get really terrible in the present, that is when you pass the parcel to the Lord and ask him to take some of the load.  

As yet I don't have answers to any of my questions, but that in itself is not enough to say there isn't an answer.  Sometimes I have to look back to realise that there was an answer, I just didn't see it at the time and then the answer might be as simple as learning to trust my Lord in both good and bad experiences.    

8 comments:

  1. Wow Marilyn, you have a lot going on! So sorry to hear about your mom, but I can tell your strength in the Lord by reading this.

    Your post reminds me of how this life moves at an incredible blur of a pace, and that we have to "savor" every moment... that may include both the good and the challenges.

    Hope you have the best blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. The Lord can certainly restore her speech and motor skills, but it may not be within His plan to do so. Only He knows that, and I pray he strengthens you and your family as you deal with the changes.

    Your post is an encouragement to me as I deal with changes in my life too. Nothing like a parent having a stroke, but changes nonetheless. Thanks for sharing your testimony and thoughts with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's stroke and I pray for strength for her and for you as you love her and care for her.

    I think you're right---we don't always see the rhyme and reason to change until it's over and done with and we look back at the results. Sometimes we might not ever know this side of heaven, but what joy awaits us there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Marilyn. I loved your take on this and your underlying sense of humor through it all. So very sorry about your mother; so happy to get the lovely update on your chickens. A lot of mothering in this post--you and your son; your mother and you; your mama hen and chicks. Life goes on. Thanks for your thoughts today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilyn - sorry about your mother and do hope she will improve.
    I need to be as firm as you in your trust of God =
    God Bless you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry about your mother, Marilyn. Praying that God restore her, in Jesus' name. Praying He heal your heart, give you peace. (((((Marilyn)))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. perhaps if we knew all the answers we wouldn't trust God
    trusting Him makes all the difference
    biiiiiig hug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your mother, Marilyn. Your post details just a few of the reasons why we should trust God, no matter the situation--and 'situations' sometimes change without warning. I'm glad God is merciful and more than willing to carry the 'load' for us, aren't you all? God is good. Have a great day, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete