Friday, July 17, 2009

Moon Walk 1969

This is a remember when, makes me feel old, but I do remember the day that Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin kick around all that moon dust. I have never thanked the teachers who decided that the day's lessons were off. But I do now. My teachers had a sense of history being made and to their credit managed to get two hundred students seated in front of TV sets. This was 1969 TV sets had valves, not circuit boards molded into plastic, and not every house had a TV. Most seniors - those over thirty, from my teenage view - used to wonder why you needed this new gadget. So finding TV sets for a couple of hundred teenagers was a logistics exercise that NASA would have been proud of.

We were taken home by friends who had TV sets and lived close to the school, yes my friend rang her parents to ask if she was allowed to bring home a room full of teenagers. I don't think I rang my parents though to let them know that I would be leaving the school. Today's notification requirements would be in a spin. I am thankful that the moon walk happen in 1969.

Something else that seems to be forgotten is that it was the Commodore 64 that made this epic trip possible. Don't know what a Commodore 64 is? Not surprised, might find one or two in computer museums but this model is now oh so obsolete, 64kb just won't do much any more. The games on my mobile phone use this much memory, some are larger, and those games are very basic affairs in the world of game play.

The moon walk was forty years ago, where did those years go? Never thought that I would be asking that time question, but this is one of those certainties in life. Live long enough and you will ask the same question. Everyone does. Time is the common denominator.

No comments:

Post a Comment