Monday, July 27, 2009

Newbie to Blogging -Not Understanding It All

I have jumped into blogging. Yes dived in without really looking. Risky behavior. Maybe, but I figured the worst thing that could happen is that I delete myself. Anoying, but not leathal.

So far I have a few entries, yes I have managed to get blogs onto a web site. For those struggling with the finer details of blogs, your blog is a website. This is one of the bits of info I have learnt by watching as many You Tube videos as the brain can take in. The learning process will continue. I have even tried to earn some money from this blog by adding AdSense to my blog. My projected income if any turns up is now more an addition to the retirement fund. But if the hit rate goes from 0 to more I will be succesful. A big achievement for someone born pre computor.

The most disturbing thing about some of these instructional videos - there is a teacher presenting the video. Now I have a great respect for most teachers, but when there are 400 or so hits and no ratings that should tell the presenter that their presentation has failed. I have watched videos with only 130 views and have a five star rating.

I feel for the students out there in a classroom, if the video presentation is the classroom presentation, I wonder if the children learn all that much in class. I have to confess my concentration and patience was strecth, and I am a student that is determined to work all this blogging stuff out. Teaching should be thought of a selling a product. If your presentation is not fun to watch, the class turns off.

Teaching is like being a parent, you are usually the last to know that your style has not reached the target audience. At least with You Tube videos your class can give you feedback with a star. There is no way any student wants to upset their teacher by informing them that they struggle to absorb the presented lesson. If teachers were brave enough they might ask their students to rate them using the 5 star rating system. But then teachers must know already if they have their class or not. The old adage "if you have to ask you probably don't have what you want."

So my journey will continue, there are millions of how to blog sites in cyberspace, all are under review and scutiny, even bloggers stuff. So far all I can say, is that if you are new to computors I have not found a sight that starts from 0 knowlege in the how to blog. What I want from a how to sight is click this button, click that button and you will get this gadget or that gadget, start talking about URL and http makes the brain spin, come on a few more hints for seniors would be nice. Can't believe I said that but sadly the birthday count places me in that era.

No comments:

Post a Comment